Friday, September 02, 2005

Ding, Dong The Stone Is Gone, The Wicked Stone Is Gone...

The surgery went great. They expected it to be about 45 minutes, but after 15 they called us on the little cell phone and said "We're done!"....Amazing. I actually thought when they called us (so soon) that they were calling to say "There was no stone". But there really was. Calie seemed fine in recovery. She was feeling like she needed to pee--so the nurse took her to the bathroom. There was blood in her urine and there was little urine. So the nurse gave her a pill to keep her bladder from having spasms and told us that the medicine would make her pee orange.

We headed home. Then her pain set in. She was hurting and crying all the way home. I felt so bad for her. We got her home. Percoset and bladder pill. And that nurse wasn't kidding. I'm talking ORANGE! She stayed home from school the next day--I'm still unsure if she was lying--but she *said* she had a headache. But now she is fine. We find out in a week or so about the stone--what it's made up of and all that jazz.

I'm just glad it's gone. Now maybe she can sleep in her own bed. And be pain free.

Today she said she had to tell someone HOW the doctor got the stone out. I'll bet the girl was almost as embarrassed as Calie was. I remember being that modest--a tampon commercial caused me much grief if a male was anywhere near and heard/saw it also. Heck, I remember being partially shaved while in labor with Calie and almost dying from embarrassment. The little "helper" type nurse looked like she was 16. My own husband had never been that close to my neither regions (with a razor and 700 watt bulb)--and here was a little black girl with a Gillette razor and no soap/shaving creme. Ugh. I break out in a sweat just thinking about it... Now, 4 kids later, half of the nursing staff at the local hospital has seen my "bits"...I should have charged admission...

No comments: